I absolutely love the peppery flavour of black rice. Daniel found the black rice at a well stocked Chinese Supermarket not far from our home. I made this Superfood Salad as a salad/side dish for Daniel’s birthday. It went so well with the chicken Daniel cooked. Pity he had to cook on his birthday but my assistant chef for the birthday feast, Alexander came down with tiredness. (The very tough life of a 19-year-old.)
- 1 Butternut, cored and chopped into chunks
- 1 large Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 150g black rice
- 100g mixed Pumpkin, Sunflower and/or Flaxseeds
- a bunch of Basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tblsp (15ml) Maple syrup
- 50 - 100g dried Cranberries
- freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180'C.
- 2. Cook the rice in salty, boiling water, making sure not to overcook it.
- 3. Drain, mix with a little bit of olive oil, set aside and keep warm.
- 4. Mix the chopped butternut with just enough olive oil to coat it, add salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg.
- 5. Mix the sweet potato with the maple syrup and olive oil. Add salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg.
- 6. Pour butternut and sweet potato in a baking dish (keep them separate) and roast them for 25 min, set aside.
- 7. Mix the rice with the mixed seeds, berries, roasted butternut and sweet potato. Make sure you include the juices of the butternut and sweet potato to enhance the richness of the flavour.
- 8. Finish salad with basil leaves and salad dressing of your choice.
- You can replace the black rice with wild rice or brown rice.