Spicy Butternut Soup
|2 large||Onion, finely chopped|
|3||Cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|500 ml (2 c)||Chicken Stock|
|5 ml (1 teasp)||Lemon Juice|
|250ml (1 c)||Water|
|3 small||Strong green chillies or 1 large jalapeno, no pips, finely chopped|
|15 ml (1 tblsp)||Melted butter|
|250ml (1 c)||Fresh cream|
- Peel and pip the butternuts, and cut it into about 5cm square chunks.
- Peel and chop the onions quite finely.
- Chop the garlic very finely, or push through a garlic press.
- Halve the Jalapeno pepper or green chillies and scrape out all the pips. Chop the green flesh very finely.
- Put the onions, garlic and chillies into the melted butter in a saucepan on a moderate heat and cook until the onions are soft and transparent. Add the lemon juice and chicken stock and stir until well mixed.
- Add the water and the cubes of butternut, and simmer until the soup is thick and all the ingredients are well blended together, about 1 hour.
- Liquidise with a Bamix or a food processer.
- Serve hot.
- Swirl a tablespoon or two of fresh cream into the centre of each bowl of soup just before serving.