Lazy man’s Potato Bake
Prep time and cooking time about an hour. But most of it is when it sits in the oven, going all bakey and tasty and golden…
So you can sit down and enjoy a quick glass of sangria or some lemonade and relax whilst the smells get the kids to line up…
Theh recipe and the method is so simple, it's actually a little silly presenting it, but, as this is about recipes, here goes:
|Potatoes||200g – 250g per person eating|
|Bacon||Good Quality smoked bacon the best. About 250g|
|Onions||2 large onions, sliced thickly|
|Cream||100ml of cream|
|Strong cheese||About 100g of a strong cheese, such as cheddar, boerenkaas or even blue cheese|
|Mozzarella cheese||About 100g of simple Mozzarella cheese|
1. I like to pre-cook my potatoes in a steam cooker for about 10 minutes. Unfortunately the sealing rig of mine blew as I streamed by 'taters.
2. Peel the skin off the potatoes and slice them into 1cm thick slices
3. Pan-fry your thick onion slices (about 1cm thick) with your bacon. Get the onion nice and golden.
4. Take a baking dish and lay down a layer of potatoes. Season well.
5. Add a layer of the fried Onions and Bacon.
6. Add another layer of potatoes.
7. Complete with a layer of the Onions and Bacon.
8. Top with the strong chees and then the Mozzarella cheese on top. The Mozzarella cheese should stop the strong cheese from burning, but the tastes merge into a delicious stringy sticky symphony.
9. Pour the cream over the lot and stick into a pre-heated oven at 180 Celcius for 30 minutes.
The result should be gloden brown, sticky and steamy.
Serve with a nice fresh tomato onion and basil salad, dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.