I’m always looking for something new but healthy to add to the children’s lunch boxes. In enjoy the chewiness of this granola bars and the contrast of the apricots gives it a nice tang through the sweetness of the honey.
|500 ml (2 c)||Oatmeal|
|250 ml (1 c)||Sliced almonds|
|250 ml (1 c)||Shredded coconut|
|125 ml (½ c)||Bran / Wheat Germ|
|45ml (3 tblsp)||Butter|
|60 ml (¼ c)||Brown sugar, lightly packed|
|7.5 ml (1½ teasp)||Vanilla Essence|
|1.25 ml (¼ teasp)||Salt|
|125 ml (½ c)||Pitted dated, chopped|
|125 ml (½ c)||Dried apricots, chopped|
|125 ml (½ c)||Dried cranberries, chopped|
- Preheat the oven to 180’c. Butter a 20 by 30cm baking dish.
- Toss the oatmeal, almonds, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150’C.
- Place the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the dates, apricots, and cranberries and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature.
Source: Foodnetwork.com – Ina Garten