Easy Sesame Chicken
On the great hunt for some good quality soy sauce, I heard about this Chinese shop in Old Farm Road that I did not even know about. So, home I came with some interesting new soy sauce, rice vinegar and two types of noodles – “crystal green noodles” and egg noodles. So we used the crystal noodles in this simple sesame chicken recipe of Heidi’s. The noodles are made of potato starch and cooks to absolute transparency. They are also quite elastic, so the kids through it a little weird. The good thing about it is that it has no taste, only texture. So the delicate tastes were not overpowered by some eggy noodly taste.
The recipe is so simple, and really tasty. And quick. With prep, less than 30 minutes.
I used some of the new techniques I learnt recently – e.g. to put the chicken in the wok in a way that you don’t crowd them, so they go golden brown and does not start boiling. Takes a few minutes more and needs some attention, as the wok can burn it to black in seconds. But well worth it in taste and visually.
The sesame and ginger are a symphony together. And the sesame seeds just adds that lovely sesame chicken experience.
|800gr||Chicken fillet, cut into pieces|
|60ml (¼ c)||Cornstarch|
|Salt & Pepper|
|Vegetable oil for frying|
|2||Spring onions, chopped|
|90ml (6 tblsp)||Soy Sauce|
|45ml (3 tblsp)||Water|
|1 ½ tblsp||Sesame Seed Oil|
|60ml (¼ c)||Brown Sugar|
|60ml (¼ c)||Rice Vinegar|
|2 inches||Fresh ginger, grated|
|3 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|60ml (¼ c)||Sesame Seeds|
|30ml (2 tblsp)||Corn Starch|
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, 60ml (¼ c) cornstarch, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss the chicken in the egg and cornstarch mixture.
- Heat a large skillet with vegetable oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot (it should look wavy on the surface), add the chicken and all of the egg mixture. Cook the chicken, stirring only occasionally, until it is golden brown and cooked through (about 7-10 minutes). Drain off the excess oil, if desired.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the soy sauce, water, sesame oil, brown sugar, rice vinegar, fresh ginger, minced garlic, cornstarch, and sesame seeds. (You can grate the ginger with a small-holed cheese grater).
- Once the chicken is cooked through and golden brown, pour the sauce over top. Toss the chicken to coat in the sauce. The sauce will begin to thicken as soon as it hits the hot skillet. Once the chicken is coated and the sauce thickened, turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle the spirng onions over before serving
Jasmine rice or noodles